Vegetable Pot Pie
Total time: about an hour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 or 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 can (16 oz) vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas (we just use as much as we think is necessary)
- 3 or 4 celery stalks, chopped
- Two Jiffy cornbread boxes, 2 eggs, and however much milk it requires (you could also use a regular box of cornbread mix, puff pastry, pie dough, biscuits, or bisquik if you want to try something else)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees
- Melt butter over medium heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- When it melts, add onions, celery, and carrots. Cook until just soft and onions are translucent, about three minutes.
- Add potato. Cook for about 6 minutes, until vegetables are as soft as you’d like them (I like my vegetables pretty mushy so if you don’t, I’d suggest cooking it for 5 minutes).
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables, stir to coat, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Carefully add broth and milk, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add peas. Pour into an 8 by 8 dish. A cake pan will work too (9 by 13 I believe).
- Make cornbread mixture and pour it over the vegetable mixture.
- Put in oven and bake until cornbread is golden brown and mixture is bubbling, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving, otherwise it will be runny.
It’s a fairly easy recipe to make and it tastes great. You can add other vegetables too. We’ve added cauliflower before and peppers might be good in it too. You don’t need to make any side dishes with this one because the cornbread is the side dish! It keeps pretty well as leftovers so even if you’re by yourself or live with only one other person, it can be a good meal for a couple of days.