OMG. LOVE this recipe. Found it on Food.com and have already made it two or three times. It is so hot and creamy and soft on the throat. Great for winter nights or when you have a cold.
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 TB butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chopped broccoli, steamed until crisp tender
- 3 cups vegetable (recipe originally calls for chicken broth)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- In a large saucepan, saute onoin and celery in butter over medium heat until tender.
- Add flour, pepper, salt, and paprika and stir until smooth (this happens very quickly)
- Add broth, milk, and potatoes. Stir constantly until it boils.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese and cooked broccoli and cook over low until cheese is melted and soup is completely heated (this takes a minute, maybe less)
The first time we made this we left out the paprika because we didn’t have any and it is still delicious. I’ve had a lot of broccoli cheddar potato soup and this might be my favorite. Some warm french bread goes great with this soup!