Meatless Monday lives!
Well, kinda, it only lives when I think of something to post. And recently I’ve been very bad at trying new recipes. This recipe is actually a spin on the veggie frittata I posted about last year. I wanted to do something where I knew the eggs were fully cooked so I turned a frittata into a scramble.
- Half a red pepper, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- 1 zucchini squash, diced
- Half a yellow squash, diced
- 1 cup of chopped broccoli (about half of a small bunch)
- A quarter of an onion, chopped
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Put some oil into a large skillet. Turn heat on medium high and add peppers and broccoli. Cook for about three minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for another four minutes. Add more oil if necessary.
- While vegetables are cooking, beat eggs and milk together. Add a bit of salt and pepper to the mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture into the vegetables, turn the heat down to medium and cook until eggs are done to your liking. It took mine a little less than 15 minutes.
Gene and I ate this on tortillas, so it was like a breakfast burrito. Next time I will use less milk, maybe just 1/3 of a cup. The milk makes the eggs take longer to cook so that even after 10 minutes there was still some liquid in the pan. Some of the vegetables released water when cooked, which makes the cooking process take longer.
The end result was delicious and I will make again. This is a great way to get in veggies and protein. It would have been good without the tortilla or even with some toast. Maybe I’ll even add some potatoes next time!