My mom, Kathy, created this recipe and it has become a staple for me. One of the fastest meals to make (only 20 minutes), it’s delicious and versatile. Sub in or add any extra vegetables you want to this dish. And, it uses only two pots.
- Spaghetti (thin or angel hair preferably) – about 2/3 of a box
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 zucchini squash, chopped
- 1 crown of broccoli, chopped
- 2 TB butter
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth (w/ 2 tsp vegetable broth granules)
- 2 tsp additional vegetable broth granules
- Lemon juice (or white cooking wine)
- 1 tsp garlic (2 cloves)
- Italian seasoning
- Lemon pepper
- Steak seasoning
- Cook pasta. Add 2 tsp vegetable broth granules to water.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and zucchini in 2 TB butter and about 2 TB olive oil.
- When the above is almost cooked, add 1 tsp garlic. Add seasoning to taste: Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, steak seasoning, and salt. Stir together and cook for another minute or two.
- Add 1 cup vegetable broth (but 2 tsp of vegetable granules) and a splash of lemon juice (or white cooking wine) into the skillet and simmer, stirring till reduced. (Add extra broth if making lots of pasta).
- While everything is cooking, steam broccoli in a bowl in the microwave for around 3 minutes. You want it fully cooked.
- When pasta is done, add ⅓ cup of pasta water to skillet then drain pasta. (If you have lots of pasta add ½ cup).
- Add pasta and broccoli to skillet and toss everything together.
Serves: 3 to 4 people, depending on how much pasta you cooked.
Leftovers: Just as good as the fresh dish.
2 thoughts on “Food Friday: Kathy’s Vegetable Spaghetti”
This is good stuff, would recommend.
Awww… I’m so glad you like this dish! Makes me happy.