This recipe is originally found on Vegan Heaven. Thanks to Shari for finding it. This meal is a nice change from the regular tacos we’re all used to (although those are also great). The longest part of making this is breading the cauliflower, but the crispy deliciousness afterward is worth it if you have the time.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (the original recipe only calls for 3/4 cup but I find I use more than that as I toss out the panko as it gets clumpy and I add fresh panko)
- 1 cup BBQ-sauce (preferably Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1/4 small red cabbage, cut into strips
- 1 avocado, cut into strips
- 1 lime, sliced
- Green onions, diced
- Fresh cilantro
- 6 medium tortillas
- Optional: sour cream, hot sauce, pickled red onions
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, milk, water, garlic power, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Put 1/2 the panko in a shallow wide bowl.
- Dip the cauliflower pieces in the batter then toss the pieces in the panko breadcrumbs, replacing panko as needed to ensure the cauliflower pieces are fully coated.
- Bake the cauliflower in an air fryer if possible, at 325°F for 10-15 minutes. Don’t have an air fryer? Fry in a tiny bit of vegetable oil on the stove over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Remove when cauliflower is crispy and toss in BBQ sauce.
- Throw the cauliflower back in the air fryer for 5 minutes or the skillet for 5-10 minutes to crisp them up again.
- Serve the cauliflower on warmed tortillas with cabbage, green onions, cilantro, and avocado. Sprinkle some fresh lime juice on top and serve with sour cream and hot sauce as desired.
- These are especially good with pickled red onions. You can use the recipe found on my friend, Amanda’s website, if you don’t have your own.
Leftovers: You gotta heat and re-crisp that cauliflower up one way or another or it’s just not the same. Eat it all in one sitting if you have to!