Original recipe can be found on Bon Appetit.
- 12 oz thin spaghetti
- Kosher salt
- 3 large bunches kale, any type (about 1½ pounds)
- 2 tsp chopped garlic (4-5 garlic cloves)
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: Parmesan and crushed red pepper flakes (for serving)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, strip kale leaves from ribs and stems, then tear leaves crosswise into bite-sized pieces. Cook kale in boiling water until bright green and slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes. Using tongs, transfer kale to a colander and rinse under cold water. Squeeze out excess liquid from leaves.
- Keep water at a boil and put in pasta, cooking until done.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic when pan is hot, stirring occasionally, until sizzling, 3 minutes. Season with black pepper. Add kale to pot and cook, stirring often for 8 minutes (it can stay on the heat longer if the pasta takes longer to cook). Season generously with kosher salt.
- Using tongs, add pasta to kale pan; splash in about 1 cup pasta water. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes, until everything comes together. Add more pasta water as needed.
- Optional: serve pasta with parmesan and red pepper flakes.
Note: this dish, in my opinion, needs a decent amount of salt so don’t be afraid to sprinkle some on there.
Leftovers: Pretty decent.
One thought on “Food Friday: Spaghetti with Kale”
What a beautiful dish – looks tasty, too.