This recipe is based off of a recipe from Flavorful Elimination Diet, the website that my friend Amanda runs. If you ever have to go through the elimination diet, her site has loads of recipes that follow the diet but aren’t just plain chicken breast and rice. For my version below, use more salt than you think.
- 2 servings steamed white rice
- 1 crown broccoli, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms, diced (3-4 mushrooms)
- 2 TB ground flax seed & 5 TB cold water
- 1 tsp chopped garlic (2 cloves)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable/canola oil
- 1 ½ TB vegan butter
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Optional: hot sauce
- Cook your rice in a rice cooker.
- Cut up the broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, and onion.
- Make 2 flax eggs (2 TB ground flax seed mixed with 5 TB cold water. Put in fridge for 10-12 minutes).
- Heat up a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add carrots and onion and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave until cooked (about 3 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and garlic to onion and carrot mixture, continue cooking until all vegetables are cooked, about 3 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the desired amount of rice to the vegetable mixture. Add broccoli, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder and milk. Stir.
- Add more salt (more than you think), pepper, flax egg, and rice as needed to make a nice casserole mixture.
- Pour mixture into a greased casserole dish.
- Put butter in a bowl and microwave until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Add panko into the butter bowl and mix, then sprinkle the panko on top of the casserole.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden and heated through.
- Serve with hot sauce.
Serves: 3-4 people
Leftovers: Okay. Would be better if you reheated in an oven/air fryer to crisp up the panko again but it tastes fine if you don’t.