This recipe is originally found on the Crisco box. Switched out some non-vegan ingredients for vegan ones and these cookies are delicious. Best vegan chocolate chip cookies I’ve been able to make thus far. And incredibly easy and quick.
Can you make these without walnuts? Sure. But they’re better with. I tested this dough to see if chilling it in the fridge or the freezer prior to baking changes the cookies at all. It didn’t seem to change mine significantly enough so I don’t bother with that step but you do you if that’s something you feel should happen. 🙂
- ¾ cup Crisco
- 1 ¼ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 TB soy milk
- 1 TB vanilla
- 1 vegan egg (1 TB ground flax seed mixed with 2 1/2 TB cold water, chilled in fridge for 10 minutes)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Make a flax egg.
- Beat shortening, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until well blended.
- Beat in egg.
- Add half the flour and all of the salt and baking soda into the bowl, mixing on low until blended. a separate bowl
- Add the remaining flour and mix until blended and there’s a uniform dough. Feel free to ditch the mixer and use a spoon to finish this part up.
- Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Form into balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Serves: Makes around 30 to 40 cookies depending on the size.
Leftovers: We all know fresh cookies are the best but these ones do hold up ok for a day or two if you can’t eat them all in one sitting. The dough itself will last for a long time in the fridge or freezer so keep it there instead of baking all the cookies at once if you can’t eat them quickly.